Lake View School
Lake View school ran from 1905 until 1938. Its original location was at the corner of what is now Big Bay Road and Schoolhouse Road. It was donated & moved to the Heritage Center in 1992 & restored to reflect the one room schoolhouse.
A view of the classroom.
The Island's first Protestant Parsonage of St John's Church, built early in the 20th century. It was moved several times before it was donated to the Madeline Island Historical
Preservation Association & restored to reflect the pastor's home.
Rev. Karl Meyer, second minister of St. John's Church, standing in front of the parsonage.
Angus Building & Mural
This building began as a logger's bunkhouse, then was later moved and operated by Mary & Dan Angus as the Cheese House located on County Road H.
After the Cheese House closed in 1996, it was donated to MIHPA by the Angus family and moved to the Heritage Center. A history of the Angus family, early pioneers since 1835, is on display along with family and Island artifacts.
On the back of this building is painted a mural that represents the story of islanders who spent their days plying the waters of Lake Superior. It depicts Captain Dan Angus and his schooner the Lizzie W, that brought day tourists and vacationers to the island and back. Also featured is John Hagan, who along with his brother, William, operated a thriving commercial fishing business on the south side of Madeline Island for over 50 years.
Winter Transportation Mural
On the back of the parsonage is another painted mural. This mural depicts the unique modes of winter transportation required when living on an island sometimes iced in by Lake Superior.
Featured in the mural you will see Leonard Erickson standing next to the Battle Wagon.. In the 1950's, Leonard and his vehicle, kept island roads drivable, including the ice road, once it formed between the island and Bayfield.
Windsled pioneer, Elmer Nelson stands next to an early windsled, Maybe II, a rebuilt and improved edition of the Maybe. The Maybe was the island's first windsled, purchased by Howard Russell in the 1940's. Visible in the painting is a boat filled with passengers. Ferrying goods and passengers across in boats worked when the lake was open. Once an ice road formed, mushing the 3 miles across on a dogsled became a workable option. In 1937 Bayfield physician, Dr. M. J. Robertson, traveled by dogsled in the wee hours of the morning to deliver two babies in different Islands homes. As he reported, "It was all part of the day's work."
Also featured in the mural are school children standing along side their horse drawn school bus. In this 1915 depiction, driver Joe Croogan has picked up the children and is delivering them to the island's Lake View School. Finally, up in the sky is an airplane. Clarence Russell brought the first airplane to the island in 1919. Mail and supplies could now be delivered via the air.
Veterans' Memorial Garden
The Veterans' Honor
Garden was dedicated in 2013. The garden is a peaceful place of contemplation. Pavers with the names of veterans, living and deceased surround the Superior stone garden.
Close-up of pavers found in the garden honoring veterans.
Richard D. Hinrichsen Sculpture,
Created by Zach Montagne
This metal sculpture was designed and created by Zach Montagne of Madeline Island. He used all found and donated metal objects from the island to create this perfect image of how Islanders remember island resident, Richard E. Hinrichsen, and his zest for life. The project was made possible by grants from the island association, La Pointe Center for the Arts in association with Wisconsin Arts Board and the Grutzner Madeline Island Fund, an affiliate of the Duluth Superior Area Community Foundation.
This metal sculpture, created by island artist, Zach Montagne, is dedicated to the memory of our friend, and neighbor, Richard Hinrichsen. Richard was named the "unofficial island greeter" to each ferry load of visitors who came to Madeline Island. His uninhibited enthusiasm and joy made everyone feel welcome and and instant friend. He rode the streets of La Pointe on his bicycle, towing his old lawnmower behind, in anticipation of finding a neighbor who needed a lawn mowed or help with some odd job...or just taking time to visit.
Richard was mentally challenged, but that did not hold him back from participating in all kinds of island events or pursuing odd jobs to make a buck. He loved a crowd and meeting people and would help out wherever he could, creating special bonds with the elderly as he willingly assisted them with various tasks.
Richard came to the island in 1983 to live with his brother and family. He quickly moved into the hearts of islanders as well. Eventually, Richard got his own apartment and family and friends looked out for him. He lived on the island until 2006. He died in St. Cloud, MN on November 4, 2013, at age 50.